In this post I am going to be sharing 7 healthy holiday food swap recipes. As always, get cooking with me over on Instagam! I’d love to see how your versions of my favorite recipes turn out! (@nathaliamelofit)
With the holidays upon us, everyone is getting into the Holiday Spirit with Christmas music, gift giving, Christmas lights, Christmas Movies (Hello Home Alone 3x in a row!) But the one thing we all love & dread at the same time is FOOD! How can you say no to everyone’s holiday cooking?! Who here has gone home or to a Christmas party, wearing your cute but stretchy pants?
Holiday food is not known for being all that health so I have put together some ideas & recipes for some health(ish) alternatives that will still keep you in the holiday spirit!
7 Healthy holiday food swap recipes
Instead of dinner rolls or a bagged salad, try this fresh Cranberry Apple Salad!
I want to start off this easy and healthy holiday food swap recipes with one of my absolute favorites. A heathy Cranberry and Apple salad. This salad is so easy to throw together. It’s nice to have something fresh and crispy on your plate and totally beats a premade bagged salad, trust me!
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 apple, diced (I prefer green apples)
- 1 pear, diced
- Handful of grapes
- 1 tablespoon of green onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 (10 ounces) package mixed baby greens (or any greens)
- ¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoons almond slices
- A tablespoon of your choice of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
- Whisk vinegar & olive oil to create a dressing; set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients with the greens & toss gently to mix.
- Either poor dressing in or wait until you are ready to serve.
Instead of Sugar cookies, try these Coconut Macarons!
I know, I know… sugar cookies might seem like a Christmas staple but when you try these coconut macaroons you are going to fall in love, I promise! Try these at your next Christmas party for a healthy holiday food swap. (I bet even your kiddos will love them!)
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a bowl, add your coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla.
- With an eclectic mixer, whip the egg whites and salt on high speed until they make medium-firm peaks.
- Slowly add the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper (I like to use an ice cream scoop!)
- Bake for 25 – 30 mins or until they are perfectly golden brown!
- BONUS: Melt some dark chocolate and dip the bottom only for a delicious chocolate base!
- Let them cool and serve!
Instead of dips with chips & pieces of bread, try Spinach Artichoke Dip with Veggies!
- 8 oz light cream cheese full fat is fine but I used light
- 16 oz light sour cream same you can use full fat if you want
- 1 stick 1/2 Cup butter
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 14 oz Artichoke Hearts
- 4 oz diced chilies mild drained (don’t worry this doesn’t make it spicy AT ALL pinky promise)
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Chop artichokes.
- Drain off any excess liquid from spinach and chilies.
- Combine everything in the crockpot and allow to heat through (about 40 minutes).
On the stove:
- Combine the cheeses, butter, and sour cream in a pot over medium heat until melted and combined.
- While the cheese is melting drain and chop the artichokes and drain any excess liquid off of the spinach.
- Stir the spinach, artichokes, chilies, and garlic into the cheese.
- Serve warm. This makes enough to fill a 2-quart crockpot.
Blueberry Balsamic Goat Cheese: It’s blueberry and goat cheese so it’s amazing
Don’t forget to add this to fruit or salad toppings! Hmmmmm it is delish!
- 1 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp. honey, add an extra teaspoon if your blueberries aren’t very sweet
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4` scant tsp. crushed rosemary
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 loaf crusty French bread
- Add the blueberries to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rosemary, honey, salt, and balsamic vinegar.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the goat cheese and cream cheese together.
- Spread the goat cheese mixture over a small plate and top with the blueberry mixture that has been allowed to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the dip with some crusty French bread or crackers.
Instead of stuffing, try these Coriander-Roasted Carrots
- 1 1/2 lb. carrots, halved crosswise (if they are longer, cut in half too)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (Yes, two separate!)
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 oz. feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F
- In a bowl, coming 1 tbsp of olive oil, coriander seeds, salt, and pepper & mix well. Add in your carrots and make sure they are coated.
- Lay out on a baking tray and roast carrots for 18-20 mins. Toss halfway though
- In a blender, add the feta cheese, yogurt, milk, and (salt & pepper if desired). Spread out this mixture onto your serving plate. (Yes, it will be a base)
- In another bowl, stir together finely chopped onion, white wine vinegar, and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Place carrots onto the serving plate and drizzle with your vinaigrette!
Instead of buttered mashed potatoes, try these Vegan Lemon Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes
Alright actually these might be my all time favorite! I use this heathy recipe swap every time I want to make potatoes around the house. My family simply can’t get enough!
- 2 lbs Potatoes (cut into wedges or halves, whatever your personal preference is)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup Vegetable or No-Chicken Broth
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Tablespoon of rosemary
- ½ teaspoon *to taste* salt and black pepper
- Set your oven to 425F
- In a baking bowl, add all your liquids and seasonings (lemon juice, broth, oil, oregano, thyme, rosemary). Mix well and then add the potatoes. Toss until they are well coated.
- Place the potatoes (juice & all) into your pan
- Place pan in the oven and roast for 20 mins
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, add your minced garlic and flip your potatoes. Take some of the liquid and spoon over the potatoes!
- Place pan back in the oven and roast for another 20 mins or until the potatoes are that perfect golden brown!
- Serve with some freshly chopped herbs and any remaining liquid from the pan! Enjoy!
Instead of Peppermint Bark, try these Peppermint Fudge Energy Bites!
You’ll be wanting to eat this year round. I know I do… Try my favorite dessert snack for a healthy holiday food swap recipe this year.
- 1 cup raw almonds *preferably unsalted
- 2/3 cup pitted dates (12)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed peppermint
- Add almonds in a blender or food processor until finely chopped. Then add dates and blend them well together. Add in the cocoa powder, extracts, and coconut oil. You will need to blend for a couple of minutes until the mixture starts to combine.*Pulse a few times if needed and add a couple of drops of water.
- Add in your chocolate chips but don’t blend too well (We like it chunky!)
- Get a spoon and get some of the mixture so you can roll it into a ball with your hands. (Roughly around a teaspoon)
- Dip in the crushed peppermint and place on a plate
- Once the balls are all formed, place them in the freezer for 30 mins
- Serve & enjoy!
Want even more recipes that the whole family will love?! Don’t forget to checkout my best selling recipe eBook with over 50 tried and tested recipes that my family loves! (And trust me, your picky eaters will love them too!) Grab your copy today!
And with the holidays fast approaching make sure your get your fitness loving friends the perfect gift! I’ve put together the ultimate list for you. Check it out here.
Save this post to Pinterest!