In this post, I’m helping you learn how to kickstart your fitness routine. There’s no ‘right’ time to kickstart your fitness routine… this means it’s ALWAYS a great time to start. Now let’s get into what might be holding you back — and how you can kickstart your new routine.
How to Kickstart Your Fitness Routine
Are you lacking motivation?
Do you feel like you’re lacking motivation? Because maybe you’re in a slump… or you could be feeling down on yourself?
Mama, we’ve all been there!! A lack of motivation can be a very normal trend in the seasons of life.
It could be that you just went on vacation and came back with your pants fitting a little tighter, or you just had a baby and are ready to bump your activity level back up. Maybe you and Netflix have spent a little too much time together lately… or maybe having your kids home all Summer took all your energy, and making it to the gym was NOT your priority.
Regardless of the circumstances, it’s time to get up and get moving. So listen up, this post is for you!!!
I have been through many highs and lows which resulted in many different-looking physiques over the years. From winning the 2012 Ms. Bikini Olympia title to having two babies 14 months apart to moving halfway across the world with no help from family. I can totally relate to the emotions of change and unexpected or undesired weight gain/physique change.
Suddenly you look in the mirror and it’s not what you had expected to see staring back at you. I have good news for you though. You can and will make a positive change if you follow my ABCs.
ABCs for Fitness Success:
a) You want to make a change so that you can have a positive attitude.
b) You have a plan that’s safe, realistic, and tailored to your goals.
c) You put forth the effort and stay consistent.
The one thing I love about fitness and nutrition counseling is there’s always room to grow and to change, no matter where you are at in your journey.
Here are a few things you can do to kickstart your fitness routine, get yourself out of that slump, and feel great again!
Kickstart your Fitness Routine:
- Stop telling yourself you’re “bad” or a particular food is “bad”. We must create a healthy relationship with food. No more beating yourself up over the dessert you ate 3 weeks ago! Live in the present and get moving now. Worrying about the past or regretting it will not bring positive change. ATTITUDE is everything!
- Bump up your daily activity outside of “working out” which means you take the stairs instead of the elevator, park a little further away from the door, go on a walk during your lunch break, take the kids to the park instead of watching TV, etc. INCREASE your activity and set a daily step goal.
- Set a realistic goal (i.e. run a 5k, lift weights 3x a week, lose 10 pounds, start attending a group fitness class, etc.)
- Schedule “ME” time!
- Create 3 journals and log/track your progress.
- Meal journal (download a nutrition tracking app like MyMacros or MyFitnessPal)
- Workout journal (kick it back old school and grab a spiral notebook or use the notes section of your phone)
- Daily Devotional (i.e. passing thoughts, accomplishments, struggles, to-do list)
- Revamp your grocery list AKA making a new one. Aim for healthy nutrient-dense foods and create a dinner schedule for you and your family at the beginning of each week.
- Find a workout buddy! There is nothing more satisfying than some girl talk along with a nice sweat. Call your best girlfriend and schedule a date at the rack…the squat rack that is.
- Drink lots of water! Did you know that many times hunger is a sign of thirst? Yep, have a glass of water before each meal or snack and consciously drink water throughout the day.
- Find an accountability group like the Mother Strong League
- REWARD yourself. Have a glass of wine or your favorite dessert each week after smashing your goals!
Now you can try this elliptical cardio blaster to kickstart your week:
Warm-up: 5 minutes level 3
5 rounds of the following:
- 2 minutes level 6
- 2 minutes level 8
- 30 seconds level 11 (squat down slightly)
- 30 seconds level 13 (squat down slightly)
Inspired to keep up this fitness routine? I’ve created a ton of helpful and totally free guides that can help you stay on track. Whether you’re looking for fit pregnancy tips or a full-body workout that will kick your butt, these plans will help you! Click here to choose the plan that will best help you.
Save this post for later on Pinterest! Help other women learn how to kickstart this fitness routine by sharing this post! Then you can follow me for more (@nathaliamelofit).