Learn how to use condiments in moderation to set yourself up for weight loss success.
This could be a big reason you are falling short of your goals. Condiments. Yep, you read that right!
Condiments = yummy add ons to your food OR Calorie BOMBS (in some cases)!
A little mayo… A dollop of sour cream… A whopping scoop of guacamole at your favorite Mexican food restaurant… It all adds up & every little bit helps when you’re trying to drop some pounds.
If you have followed me for a while you know I am all about enjoying life and finding ways to enjoy the things you love in moderation. That being said, I don’t want you to eliminate them from your diet entirely, but save the calorie heavy ones for special occasions or refeed days & substitute them with more macro-friendly ones on the regular. (Don’t know what macros are? Check out THIS blog where I explain it all)
My 3 pieces of condiment advice:
1. Don’t douse your food in anything. Use ALL ‘’add ons’’ on the side. Dip your fork (lightly) and grab a bite. This will help you gauge how much you are eating.
2. Look for alternatives (see list below).
3. Season your food properly but don’t overload it with excess salt. According to Harvard Health, the average American diet consumes over 3,400 mg of sodium per day. Although, it is important to note that the human body cannot survive without sodium. Sodium is needed to transmit nerve impulses, contract/relax muscle fibers, and maintain a proper fluid balance (just to name a few).
I personally like to lightly salt my veggies & use salt-free seasoning or low sodium seasoning for my protein sources (i.e. Mrs. Dash or Flavor God)! Properly seasoned food shouldn’t “need” a lot of condiments. You’d be surprised, I rarely need dipping sauce.
Calorie Friendly Alternatives (estimated calories based on 2 TB):
- Hot Sauce (Tabasco or Sriracha) = 0-5 calories
- Lemon Juice = 8 calories
- Balsamic Vinegar = 20 calories
- Dijon Mustard or Spicy Mustard = 10 calories
- Pickles = 0-5 calories per pickle (look for sugar free)
- Ketchup = 20 calories (watch the carbs & sugar!)
- Chutney = 50 calories (recommend making your own)
- Hummus = 50 calories
Limit these or save for special occasions or days you have lots of calories to spare:
- Cream Salad Dressings = 100+ calories (those with added sugar, mayonnaise, sour cream, and egg yolk)
- Barbecue Sauce = 60+ calories & 13g+ of sugar (now that I live in Texas this has become one my favorite but sadly is one the biggest calorie bombers)
- Sour Cream = 60+ calories & 5g fat
- Guacamole = 50+ calories & 4g of fat (Note: many restaurants add additional ingredients)
**Check the label on condiments before you buy as they do not all read the same.
Need a support group and some direction? I can help! Join my next 4-week transformation! I will share with you all my tips and tricks I have learned over the last 20 years. I will not only show you how to lose weight but most importantly how to keep it off! This is the last fitness program you will ever have to do! Trust me!
Not sure what to eat or how much? I’m here to help you with that too. Don’t wait another minute to get your life back on track. I can’t wait to help you create a new healthy and happy YOU! See you there!!!