“How do you stay motivated?”
If I got a dollar every time someone asked me this question, I’d be rich AF!
I wish this was an easy question to answer, but I’ll try to simplify it as much as possible.
Before we get started on the details…I just want to make it clear that I’m not some kinda abnormal creature that feels motivated ALL DAY, EVERYDAY. Sometimes I feel defeated and tired, or I just wanna sit on the couch watch Netflix and eat ice cream. That’s just how life is.
But I do overcome these feelings swiftly with these six tips I’ll share with you:
1. Have a goal! We work better when we’re working toward something. Otherwise, it just feels like we’re drifting. Try setting a big, scary, hairy goal, one that’ll keep you focused and driven to work toward something important.
2. Break your goal into bite-sized pieces. Setting small stepping stones makes that big goal feel less overwhelming. Plus, it means you can celebrate the small wins! We all love winning, so the best way to set yourself up for success is to create small, achievable goals that lead you toward your big, scary goal.
3. Focus on what you want most vs. what you want now. It’s easy to get sidetracked when craving an instant reward. But when that happens, focus on the bigger picture. Ask yourself if what you’re doing now will help get you where you want to be, to the goal you want the most! Every decision has consequences, and it’s important to ask yourself how those consequence will affect your journey to that big end goal.
4. Create healthy habits to lay a strong foundation, so you can move toward your goal! Recently, I heard a quote that stuck with me (I can’t remember the author): “People don’t decide their future. They decide their habits, and their habits decide their futures.” (Remember, despite the popular belief that habits take just 30 days to form, it can take more time to create an actual habit.)
5. Be. Freaking. Resilient. Shit happens to everyone. That’s just how life operates. Some days are great, and others…not so much. Sometimes, that whole tube of ice cream makes its way into our mouths. (No idea how that happens, LOL, but it happens!) Beating yourself up because you missed the gym one day, or because you ate too much, or because you didn’t finish a work presentation in time…well, that won’t fix the problem either. The same amount of energy we spend beating ourselves up over past actions, or things that are out of our control…that energy could be spent on something more productive.
6. Have a positive mindset. I know I’m talking a bit like a hippie now, but it’s true! Positivity attracts positivity, and when you start telling yourself “This isn’t going to work,” or “It’ll be crap”…well, chances are it will be! You’ve accepted defeat before even starting!
You may have just started setting goals, or you may already be on your journey to reach them. But no matter what, it’s important to stay motivated, and to keep going (even on the days when you feel a Netflix binge coming on!). Try these tips to help you stay a little more focused in life…and let me know on my instagram if you have any extra motivation tips to share!