Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail: My Top Tips on How to Make Your Week Healthy, Active, & Successful!
You’ve probably heard some version of the famous Benjamin Franklin saying, “By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.” When I first read this, it reminded me of every aspect of being a mother, especially a new mom.
Think about this…
Have you ever had a smooth morning getting out of town or to the airport without first thinking through everything you needed to do or remember before you left? The answer is likely no.
How would you feel if you were able to pass every week feeling active, healthy and successful? I bet you’re thinking ‘Nathalia… that’s a nice idea but it’s never going to work.’
Being a mom means you plan for everyone else before yourself. Between caring for kids, holding down a job, keeping the house looking halfway decent, and shuffling kids to and from activities you are left with hardly any time to focus on yourself.
What if I told you there were a few things you could start doing today to give yourself more time to focus on you? If you find yourself struggling to lose weight or slip into that bikini collecting dust in the drawer then this one’s for you!
I can speak from experience that it is possible to be an active mom, a healthy mom and an awesome mom all in the same day!
Here are some of my top tips on how to make your week healthy, active, & successful.
For a Healthy Week
- Prepare meals in advance for the week ahead
- Make easy grab snacks for you and your kiddos (don’t forget to measure)
- Carrots and hummus
- Apples and peanut butter
- Ezekiel or whole grain bread and avocado slices
- Nuts and couple turkey slices
- Protein shake and berries
- Increase your water intake (Need flavor? Try a Water Enhancer like Stur or Mio)
- Schedule in time to catch some workouts (click here to see one of my favorite circuits)
Upper Body Blast (12 repetitions each for 3 sets):
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension
Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Press
Single Arm Row
Dumbbell Bent Over Row
For an Active Week
- Skip the elevator, take the stairs
- Get your steps up by parking further away from your destination
- Have any pets? Take he/she for a 15 minute walk before the kids wake up in the morning & use this time to think about your day in silence
- Take a walk during your lunch break
- Are your kids involved in extracurricular activities? Move around while you watch them practice by taking a lap around the complex, field or track
- Step away from the TV to play catch or hide-in-go-seek with your little ones
- Take a family bike ride to the community pool instead of driving
For a Successful Week
- Pick a household chore you usually do during the week and make a goal to get it done on Saturday or Sunday (for me, that’s laundry)
- Prepare the kids backpacks, lunches, snacks, clothes the night before so you have a smooth morning
- Make a grocery list instead of wandering the isles (save time, money, and CALORIES)
- Make a list of the Dinners you are going to cook for the week
- Tuesday: Lettuce Wrapped Turkey Burgers w/ low fat cheese & Sweet Potato Fries
- Wednesday: Baked Salmon w/ Rice and Asparagus and Feta Cheese crumbles
- Thursday: Shrimp Tacos on Corn Tortillas with Cilantro-Lime Rice and Avocado Slices
- Friday: Sirloin bites with roasted red potatoes and mixed green salad
- Saturday: Rotisserie chicken with quinoa black bean salad
- Saturday: Mahi Mahi with Orzo and Kale salad
- Give your mind a break and put your obligations on paper (or better yet your smartphone calendar)
- Ensure you are getting enough sleep
Prepare yourself for a fitter healthier you and take the guessing game out of dieting and exercise! By changing up your week just a little you can find you have more time to move your body, eat a bit healthier and get those pesky tasks off your to do lists.
Sign up for my 4-week challenge starting August 26th. Spaces are limited! To sign up go to https://nathaliamelofit.com/4-weeks-2-fit-challenge/
Cheers to a better you,